What's Your Why?

Tap into your personal motivation to reach your goals!

This is by far one of my favorite quotes, it's one that Jillian Michael's mentions many times during her workouts.  It sticks with me, because it's very true.  "When you know your why, you can endure any how".  It gets me through my 6am workouts EVERYDAY, everyday.  I wake up some days and think to myself, I should just sleep in, I can do this later, I can skip a day, but then I hear this in my head- I'm reminded I can do this if I want to hit my goals.  I like the way it makes me feel to hit those fitness goals each morning.  closing those Apple Watch Rings every day.

The meeting room topic on this went over the fact that we all know what we want to do....lose weight and keep it off!  But it's also important to know why you want to do it.  What's propelling you to make a change?  What pushed you to start your journey?  What is the positive outcome you're envisioning?  The more detailed your "why" and the more you are able to visualize it, the more powerful it can be.  In Weight Watchers, they give us an opportunity to renew our "why" every 16 weeks when we get a new Success Story Book- where they plug in our weight information weekly.  I've been at this leg of my weight loss journey for just over a year.  My "why" has been the same each quarter - "To be an example for my children.  To be more active with them, teaching them to never give up".  This time around they also had a larger area of us to fill in our "beyond the scale goals".  I've shared a picture of both of these on my Instagram & Facebook page.
If you're starting off on your Weight Loss journey or renewing the inspiration - take the time to create a clear picture of what your success looks like and take time to reflect on it frequently.  It can help you remain focused and motivated.  IF you've been on your journey for a while - check in with your why.  Checking in can help you recommit to your reasons or revise them as needed.

Keep your "why" close by.  Here's an activity from the Weight Watcher's Weekly on this topic, it will help you find your "why".  It can help you stay focused for the long term.  Once you define and visualize your "why", revisit it regularly, since it may change along your journey.  Use these steps to bring it to life for yourself.
  1. Answer off the top of your head.  Why do you want to lose weight? 
  2. Go into detail.  What does that look like to you?  How would your life be different?
  3. Make it yours.  Using your answers from 1 and 2, ask yourself again - Why do I want to lose weight?  Take your time, then answer in a specific, personal and positive way.
Connect with your "why" often - especially when you face challenges.  It's a powerful reminder of what brought you to begin this weight loss journey.

Another way that you can do this is create a vision board.  This is a very popular way to manifest any goal.  So imagine if you used a vision board as a tool to manifest your weight loss?  Finding imagines that remind you of your why or a clothing sixe you might want to wear.  How about healthy foods?  Workouts you want to try?  There are so many ideas of what you can add to a vision board to help you visualize those goals!  Please share them with me on my Facebook page, showing me what you use to motivate yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Burn 200 Calories (*based on a 135lb woman)

How To Get Started On An Exercise Program

Speak up for yourself