So...now spin class begins...Well I can say that I was peddling on that bike for about 2 minutes and felt like my legs were on fire! I'm thinking to myself "how am I going to make it for the next 40 minutes?" Fortunately or unfortunately...I'm still not sure, I was spinning right next to the instructor, who was AMAZING! She unknowingly got me to push myself a little harder and make my way thru the workout. I can tell you this much...Spinning is no joke! In the 45 minute class I sweat like crazy, we went up hills, "ran" on the bike, stood up-sat down-stood up-sat down and I peddled that bike til I felt like my legs were going to fall off. Well before I knew it class was over...I totally have to credit my instructor for keeping the class moving. She had the right mix of music, conversation and encouragement to get me thru.
So when it comes to spinning I would have to say that it is an awesome workout and one that I would recommend that everyone try at least once. If for no other reason than to say that you survived a spin class!
Here are some benefits of taking that spin class:
- Weight Loss: In order to lose weight, you must burn more calories than you take in. A spinning class is really good at burning those calories which = weight loss.
- Muscle Endurance: When you use a spin bike at a moderate intensity, you can increase the muscle endurance in your legs.
- Strength: Working out on a spin bike utilizes a lot of muscles. The glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves and even abs are all targeted. A spin class can help tone and strengthen these areas, especially when you're turning that resistance up high so you have to stand to pedal.
- Non-impact: Spin bikes are used in a seated position with no force coming down on the joints, making it a safe, non-impact exercise.
- Convenient: Spinning classes are led by an instructor. But, once you learn how to use the bike, you can incorporate it into your own workouts without having to rely on an instructor.
- Posture: When you're in a spin class, you're working your hips, core and shoulders to stabilize your body. This helps improve your posture and your balance at the same time.