Heathly Eats

I'd like to begin a weekly series called Healthy Eats, where I post all the recipes I've tried during the week and my review of them.  I've been doing something new at my house for the past three weeks, where I plan out dinners for the whole week, then go grocery shopping for the ingredients that I need.  This helps me in a few ways.  The most important is that I am making a healthier choice for dinner each night-which not only benefits me, but my family and it also stops me from wasting groceries.  I had a knack for buying a whole bunch of foods with the best intentions, then I was too lazy to make them and we always seemed to deviate from "the plan".  This hasn't happened yet.  We've swapped around some of the days to make them fit our schedule-but that's about it!

Below you'll find the picture, link to recipe and review of what we had at "The Longs" this week (with a few keepers from previous weeks):

Scalloped Portobello & Cauliflower
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/scalloped-portobello---cauliflower/print
Scalloped Portobello & Cauliflower Recipe
Review:  We've had this countless times.  It is one of my newly found favorites.  You can pair this with any meal and have it be a crowd pleaser!

Cheeseburger Salad
http://paleoleap.com/hamburger-salad/
Hamburger Salad
Review:  I made a few small changes to this recipe.  I omitted the dill pickle in the salad portion and used relish in the dressing when I made it.  Oh and I added crumbled cheddar cheese to garnish the salad...making it a cheeseburger salad!

Honey-Dijon Salmon with Creamy Cauliflower Mash
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/honey-dijon-salmon-creamy-cauliflower-mash-182826.aspx
Honey-Dijon Salmon with Creamy Cauliflower Mash Image 1
Review:  The salmon was fairly tasty.  No need for any additional spices or sauces while eating.  The cauliflower was the overall winner for me on this recipe.  I'll definitely make at least the cauliflower again!

Balsamic Roast Beef
http://paleoleap.com/balsamic-roast-beef/
Balsamic Roast Beef
Review:  This one was not a keeper at our house.  It smelled amazing in the crock pot, but once we served it...it was a disappointment.  It tasted like it was missing something, flavor was one of those things.  I'll definitely be looking for more crock pot meals for the winter time that are paleo friendly.

Maple Glazed Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
http://www.honeygheeandme.com/2012/08/maple-roasted-chicken-sweet-html/

Review:  This one was a keeper.  Very easy and fairly quick to make.  One dish cooking which is always my favorite.  We happened to have company that night for dinner and I warned them I was trying something new.  They were impressed at how flavorful the potatoes were and how juicy the chicken was.  The kids really enjoyed this one as well.  I will definitely be keeping this one in the rotation.

Creamy Dill Salmon (I paired this with broccoli florets & brown rice-seasoned with butter & chives)
http://paleomg.com/5-ingredient-10-minute-creamy-dill-salmon/
IMG_1198
Review: This one was also a keeper.  It was amazing.  Once again all the family enjoyed the meal and it was quick and easy to make.  Ten minutes was not an understatement.  I had my entire meal on the table in less than fifteen!  The Creamy dill sauce was the perfect pairing for the salmon.  We'll be keeping this one on the rotation too!

Garlic Roasted Shrimp with Zucchini Pasta
http://cookeatpaleo.com/garlic-roasted-shrimp-with-zucchini-pasta/
This quick and easy garlic roasted shrimp with zucchini pasta recipe is a great weeknight paleo dinner — you can have it on the table in 20 minutes. | cookeatpaleo.com
Review: Another quick easy meal that our dinner guests enjoyed.  The prep for this meal took longer than cooking and serving!  Every single ingredient blended together seamlessly.  Another quick weeknight meal for the rotation!

Marinade for Chicken (I used boneless chicken breast and paired this with a German potato salad & corn on the cob)
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/30523/marinade-for-chicken/
Marinade for Chicken
Review: Fantastic!  The chicken was so tender after using this marinade.  The comments on the recipe basically say the longer the better when using this marinade, I did about 6 hours.




Follow me on Facebook or on Instagram, where you'll find my daily posts on dinner, exercise and anything else that is on my mind!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Burn 200 Calories (*based on a 135lb woman)

How To Get Started On An Exercise Program

Speak up for yourself