Favorite Workouts Part Four
If you like to play tennis...
Focus on a combo of leg strength and core workout, especially the obliques. The payoff will be more power on the court and lower risk of injury.
What you'll need to get started is a set of 3-5 pound dumbbells.
- Balance toe touch: targets abs, obliques, lower back, thighs, calves and improves your balance
- Stand on right leg, knee straight (not locked) and hinge forward from the waist, bringing torso parallel to floor as you lift left leg behind you to hip height
- Touch right hand to toes
- Hold for 10 seconds, engaging core muscles to balance
- Return to start, so 10-20 reps switch sides
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart , holding dumbbells in hands, arms extended at chest height
- Slowly twist torso as far as you can to the right, bringing left arm across body
- Keep abs tight, hips and head facing forward, return to center and twist to left
- Do 20 reps, alternating sides, then increase pace and do 20-40 more
- Stand with feet hip width apart
- Lunge forward with left foot, bending knees 90 degrees, keep torso straight
- As you come forward touch inside of left foot with left hand (elbow stays outside of knee)
- Step back to start
- Do 10-20 reps, switch sides and repeat