Favorite Workouts Part Three
If you like to swim....
Focus on working your shoulders, arms, core and hips with strength and balancing moves. The payoff is better endurance and proper form as well as a smoother stroke and a more powerful kick.
What you need to get started is a resistance tube or band.
- Stroke reps: targets shoulders, chest, outer and mid back and triceps
- Tie a resistance band around a stable object, such as a bedpost, at waist height.
- Hold one end in each hand, extend arms forward
- Take one step back, so there's some tension on the band
- Bend 90 degrees from waist and slowly pull both hands towards hips until palms face ceiling
- Hold at highest point for two counts and slowly return to start
- Do 10-20 reps
- Begin in a full push up position, hands aligned under shoulders, legs extended behind you
- Lift left hand and rotate body to the left until left hand points to ceiling, forming a T shape with your body, balancing weight on edges of feet and right hand
- Return to start and repeat on other side.
- Do 5-10 reps
- Stand on the resistance band with the right foot, holding the other end of band in both hands with elbows close to ears and knuckles touching behind head
- Extend arms toward ceiling, at the same time, lift left knee until left foot is next to right calf
- Engage your abs to help maintain balance and hold for 3 counts
- Slowly lower foot and hands together, do 10-20 reps, switch sides and repeat