Are you an all or none thinker?

Oh boy....My name is Jenn and I am an all or none thinker!

So I missed this topic in the meeting room, but was able to pick up the weekly reader the following week. I am so glad I did because this hits home in a big way for me. I am notorious for this. I take this so seriously - this all or none thinking that not only will I discount a whole day, but if my "major screw-up" with food happens mid to end of week, I count out the entire week calling it a loss and chalk it up to a start over on Sunday.  I know, I know it's a horrible mindset and I am working on breaking it.

The Weight Watchers Weekly on this topic reminds us that so many of our thoughts are automatic and that over time those automatic thoughts that don't help can turn into a thinking style that trips us up.  "All of none" is a common thinking style.  With "all or none" thinking it turns everything into good/bad, failure/success.  It's an unhelpful thinking style that doesn't reflect reality and can determine your weight loss efforts.  BUT. You can change how you think about situations to go beyond "all or none".

So how does changing it help?  Your thoughts, feelings and actions all link together.  Think > Feel > Do.  If you THINK you'll never lose weight, you may not FEEL motivated to make healthy eating choices and you won't DO so.  By catching those thoughts in the moment and taking a reality check you can change the way you feel about yourself and what actions to take next and that can ultimately impact your weight loss.

I've been thinking alot about this and how it is all very true for me.  Like I said in the beginning of this post, I sometimes call the whole week a wash, then cry about my gain on the scale.  It's time for me to take action.  To set a plan, a real plan and follow it.  I have a follow up post in process about just this that will hopefully put me into gear AND into my summer clothes!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Burn 200 Calories (*based on a 135lb woman)

Speak up for yourself

How To Get Started On An Exercise Program