Goals...

Who knew they were so hard to set for yourself?

I mean seriously.  I look at my Instagram and Facebook feeds and they constantly have people setting goals or making goals.  Goals of all kinds too - not just fitness or weight related.  So I ask myself "why is this so hard for you to do?"  Sounds crazy to some (or all) of you I'm sure.  But I've never formally set goals for myself and I've been ok with that all these years (except for the occasional time someone made me feel bad about it).  I've never had career goals, which also probably explains when any ventures into things such as Mary Kay or the like never worked for me.  Products don't sell themselves (as I had hoped they would).

So as part of my journey to better overall health this year - by that I mean both mental and physical.  I would really like to set myself some goals.  I guess part of the reason I never attempted to set goals is because I tend to want to set them too high.  I ran into this problem when making a goal chart for my eight year old.  I wanted to set his goal at perfection (which is a nasty Capricorn trait), that I lost sight of the fact that 1. If he was able to do all of these items on the goal chart perfectly we wouldn't need a chart and 2. Setting the goals to be attainable to begin with, then adjusting them out a little at a time was the best way to get him to buy in to participate. 

So now it's time for me to work on some goals for myself.  One of them that I have started on is completing one of those online challenges.  I chose a plank challenge and paired it with a squat challenge.  I felt like doing one challenge just wasn't enough ( foolish thinking now that I am 10 days and feeling both of these challenges).  I have another longer term challenge that I plan on beginning this Sunday - a couch to 5K.  The 5K I am going to sign up for happens on July 8th.  It's one I did years ago called the Red Dress Run.  It's a run for the ladies (I don't think I've ever seen a man running this - sorry guys), but I remember how encouraging the run was and all of the runners. 

I'll keep working on my list, both short term and long term goals, but for now here's what I've got:

1. Complete a 30 day challenge (plank & squat)
2. Complete a couch to 5K training program (10 weeks)
3. Complete a 5K run (or in my case jog)
4. Key ring charm for each 5lbs lost (new hobby)

5. More to come........

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas for non-food rewards for meeting goals, because I need them!  My go to has always been FOOD!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways to Burn 200 Calories (*based on a 135lb woman)

How To Get Started On An Exercise Program

Speak up for yourself