Allover Toning Workout for Walkers
Click here for a printable version of this workout.
- Stand with feet together, toes turned out slightly, arms by sides
- Step left foot out to side so that feet are now wider than shoulder width apart and your toes are turned out.
- Lower your body into a plie squat, bringing your arms out to your side about chin level.
- Return to start.
- Step right leg in next to left then rise tall onto toes, squeezing legs together from heel to hip working your inner thighs.
- Bring hands to touch in front of rib cage.
- Lower heels back to start and repeat in the opposite direction, stepping out with right foot, complete one rep.
- Do 2 sets of 10 reps
Standing Saw (Targets back, abs, obliques, inner thighs and hamstrings)
- Stand tall with feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart, arms extended out to sides at shoulder level.
- Keeping your lower body still, rotate your torso to the right, twisting your head and arms with trunk.
- When you are rotated as far as possible hinge forward from your hips to touch left hand to the outside of right foot, reaching your right arm directly up.
- Return to start position, switching sides to complete 1 rep.
- Do 2 sets of 10 reps.
Sumo Side Crunch (Targets abs, obliques, butt and inner thighs)
- Stand with feet wider than shoulder width apart, toes turned out 45 degrees
- Bring hands to touch behind your head, with elbows bent out to sides, and lower into a sumo squat.
- Maintaining a squat, side bend at waist to bring right elbow to right knee
- Repeat left side to complete 1 rep.
- So 2 sets of 10 reps
Leg Circle (Targets shoulder, butt, inner and outer thighs)
- Stand with feet hip width apart, arms out to side at shoulder level.
- Lift right leg forward a few inches off the floor, toes turned out, to get into start position.
- Draw 10 large clockwise circles with right leg, then 10 counterclockwise.
- Switch legs, repeat, do 2 sets
- Stand with feet hip width apart, arms reaching forward at shoulder level, palms facing one another.
- Lift right leg behind you as high as you can. Point your toe, leaning slightly forward to counterbalance.
- Lower right leg to floor without touching; now repeat lift (want to make it harder? Do 10 pulses at the top of each lift)
- Do 10 reps, switch legs and repeat. Do 2 sets.
Fitness Magazine April 2011